Maintaining your Certification
The CHBME recertification program ensures continued competence through enhanced knowledge and skills in the field of revenue cycle management. To keep the CHBME designation, certificants must pay a $150 renewal fee at the beginning of each calendar year and complete 45 credit hours within three years of taking the exam or your last renewal period. Credit hours can be obtained by HBMA sponsored programing and non-HBMA sponsored programing.
50 percent of credit hours (at least 22.5 credits) must be from HBMA sponsored programs. HBMA offers a variety of annual education programs to earn credits toward your CHBME.
- HBMA Sponsored Hours
- HBMA Healthcare Revenue Cycle Conference
- Recorded Conference Sessions
- HBMA Compliance Symposium
- Webinars (Live or Recorded)
- HBMA Committee or Board Members: Three credit hours per year up to nine hours total in a three-year cycle.
- HBMA Course Instructors: Three credit hours for each instructional hour with a maximum of 27 credits per three-year renewal cycle.
- Contributing Written Articles: Three credit hours per article published in an HBMA publication.
- Quizzes in RCM Advisor Journal: One credit per quiz. Maximum of six hours per year; 18 hours total in a three-year cycle.
Up to 50 percent of credit hours* (maximum of 22.5 credits) can be from non-HBMA sponsored programs.
- Programs provided by approved associations including:
- Medical Group Management Association (MGMA)
- Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA)
- Radiology Business Management Association (RBMA)
- American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA)
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management (AAHAM)
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Programs provided by local Medicare Carriers
- Related educational programs provided by Medical Specialty Associations
- Other credits pertaining to the healthcare revenue cycle management industry may be approved on a case-by-case basis
*Certificants must submit certificates of attendance to HBMA to be awarded credit
Members can review their current credits and easily identify what credits are still needed by accessing their "My CHBME" page in their personal account.